Aug 22, 2012

The Man Behind the Jumpman

The other day I was in Barnes and Noble reading magazines, I used to  just skim through them to look at the pictures, or just the stuff I thought was cool, but that was because I used to read really shitty magazines. Anyway now I actually read articles. So while reading this month's Dazed and Confused, I met Tinker Hatfield... I think he sorta looks like a pro golfer or something, and unless you're a sneaker head/big basketball fan chances are you don't know who he is. I'll tell you now. Mr. Hatfield designs Jordans, he's currently the Vice President of Design and Special Projects at Nike. Unfortunately not all of us are... and may never be lucky enough to work so closely with (debatebly) the greatest basketball player of all time. But this cool kid gets to... I used this photo of him cause I think it's sorta funny, like you'd never think oh this guy's basically the reason your 12 year old brother drags you to sneaker stores on Saturdays... against your will... or makes you get off the computer to plot when the next pair will come out so he can strategically plan when/what tactic he'll use to corner your mom. Anyway like I was saying they interviewed Mr. Hatfield this month on his takes on creativity and designing and stuff. 


He's designed 16 of the 23 Air Jordan basketball sneakers, he's been working at Nike since 1981 but started off as the corporate architect... and designed office spaces, show rooms and stores. I looked all over the internet in attempts to find the interview he did with Dazed and Confused that I read from this month's issue, but I couldn't find an online version, which sucks cause he said some really motivating shit. But something cool I learned from reading his interview was that he actually doesn't create or design during office hours, but finds inspiration for sneakers on his free time and in various aspects of life, he believes that the best way to produce good work is when you're not on the clock. Now this doesn't mean that he just chills at work and does nothing, but I guess he handles the more business-y side when in the office. I also think it's cool that at Nike they call their workplace the "Innovation Kitchen". I take pictures but he really makes me wish I could draw also, with all the hype that these sneakers get with every release, you don't think about the fact that someone actually designed, sketched and worked on them before they even entered the stores.

"You have to spend time getting to know an athlete, his motivations, and his life. Understand his needs and his wants. The real fun comes in the end when you make observations that have real meaning. That's the mystical side of designing products. "

No comments:

Post a Comment