Jul 25, 2013

small epiphanies and fasting

So I spontaneously decided to go on a one week SMF (Social Media Fast) yesterday, this is probably one of the best things I've done for myself since that time I decided to drastically cut down on my soda intake. The internet is nothing short of one of the greatest inventions of mankind, but like they say; too much of any good thing is bad. I've come to realize that a lot of my problems and small day to day issues stem from spending too much time on the computer. There was a time where I would literally spend hours on Tumblr and Facebook, but I stepped back and asked myself, "All of this to what avail?" Since I knew I would be pursuing a career in which social media will be very prominent, I'd tell myself things like "Well at least I'm not doing all of this in vain, this is the career path I'm going to choose anyway, right?" The thing is, if I'm spending so much time focusing on stuff that will be more useful to me in a few years when I'll actually be able to translate that time spent using these sites into money; why am I keeping myself from focusing on what's more important in my life right now?

Life is about prioritization, it's about setting goals to keep to, and making the right decisions to achieve those goals. Everything you do now will translate into something later. Newton's third law of Motion states that "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." That said, if there are no actions being made consequently there will be no reactions, and in the long run no progress. Sitting on my ass in front of a computer for 12+ hours of the day is not what's going to get me to where I want to be no matter how smart I am. I've realized I need to read and write more, to listen and observe, to think and reflect, to actively use my brain in a way that makes me better and smarter everyday... and not just in a way that builds a follower count that probably won't matter in a couple years.  I'm also doing this cutting back as a way to start disciplining myself so that once I start school it won't be as big of a distraction anymore. So far it's been pretty easy except for the two dreams I had in a span of 24 hours where I was on Twitter and kept feeling bad for messing up my fast even though in reality I was fast asleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment