Apr 16, 2013

Best Barnes and Noble Experience

Okay this sort of has nothing to do with Joey Bada$$ but just keep reading. So the other day I was at school exploring random sites with stuff that interests me as usual and I learned that Joey Badass, a rapper I'm a fan of, made his first cover of a magazine (Wax Poetics). My first thought was something along the lines of "wtf wasn't this kid just on Jimmy Fallon a couple months ago, he's currently on tour AND doing magazine covers damn". So I was planning on heading home after school but then I was like I don't have shit to do at home anyway so I decided to go to Barnes and Noble to catch up on my fave magazines and read Joey's interview. While there with my friend, he checks his email and he gets into college, so he's like really excited and sort of makes a scene and leaves to go call his mom. After he leaves there are people looking at me so I'm like "He just got into college!" anyway this older gentleman sitting across from me was like that's great and we start talking. Turns out this guy is a veteran in the advertising world and started his own company twenty five years ago. His daughter went to an art school in California and his friend's kid went to SCAD (where I'm going this year). So I'm sitting there like ARE YOU KIDDING ME this is quite the coincidence. but anyway we talked for like twenty minutes and he was so nice, probably in his sixties or seventies and was just giving me all this advice about how if you're going into the art world to just remember originality is key and that you have to be passionate about whatever you're doing because things get very competitive. He was seriously like a little blessing in disguise and was just so chill, he gave me his name and told me to look him up on Google and Youtube, so I did. Also, Joey's article was pretty cool, granted I knew a lot of the information already since I keep up with his career but like-- it was still nice to read. Shout out to these creative individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment