Jul 17, 2012

depth of field

I must say that it is a little embarrassing to admit that after taking photo at school for the past four years it wasn't until yesterday at around 8 am that I finally discovered the point of an f stop and it's correlation to shutter speed that helps to produce the beauty that is depth of field in a photograph. Sorry if that sounds super photo nerdy. Like I sorta knew what it was and generally understood the concept, but yesterday it like smacked me in the face. Basically the greater/wider the aperture, the lower the f stop # is, so the more light can come in. With more light, the shutter speed can be faster... and when there's less light you'd need a slower shutter speed, or a wider aperture (lower f stop #) to prevent a blurry image. anyway this realization might just be the highlight of my summer vacation, sad but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment